Australian Fashion Directions
Getting it Right – Incubating Talent And Sustaining Success
International Specialised Skills Institute Victorian Government/ Tafe Fellowship (ISS Institute) European, U.K and U.S.A insights.
The International Experience – Destination highlights:
A number of common factors were observed where the points of difference with the Australian situation were very clear. These factors were largely cultural and attitudinal having sprung from historical, industrial and trade backgrounds quite different from those upon which modern Australian practices are based. In Italy, for example, the reverence and respect for master craftspeople and their work was particularly strong and in England there remains an influence of respected merchant and trade guilds behind many products and services.
- NY Designs, Design Business Center, Long Island City, New York, USA;
- Garment Industry Development Corporation (GIDC), New York, USA;
- Centre of Excellence, Design and Textiles Incubator, Huddersfield, UK;
- Fashion Design and Technology Centre for Fashion Enterprise – London, UK;
- Istituto Europeo Design (IED), Moda Lab, Milan, Italy.
It is from these attitudes and influences that lessons can be learnt or knowledge transferred. Insights into understanding of First Class Talent and Skills Incubator s attracting the Best and Brightest and the importance, for successful new designers, of business skills meshed with creativity and personal characteristics such as stamina, high work ethic and coachability was apparent.